Saturday, September 17, 2005

To the Island...



Waking early on a windy morning I left my quarters at the inn and made my way on foot to the jetty where the ferrywomen waited. I thought I saw a man there, too, but it must have been my imagination. The wind blew at my hair and clothes, and I pulled my cloak tighter around my shoulders.



On the ferry the ride was rough, but the women were unperturbed, as I expected them to be. I didn't see the man again, and knew it was a trick of the light. The light grew brighter in the distance, as I saw in my mind the territory of the White Owl. The women invited no conversation, only expertly negotiated the wild waters, singing in minor keys to the wind.
copyright Monika Roleff 2005.

6 Comments:

At 4:47 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

This is really evocative Monika. You have created a most powerful image and I am totally enchanted.

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

I am very pleased.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Luna said...

I like the mood you have created. Very nice. Wish I could be there.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

I wonder what you will find when you make your journey across....

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Fran said...

I do hope we meet on the Island for there will be time to walk in silence together.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Lovely Fran, we will most certainly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home