Thursday, January 19, 2006

HappyBelated New Year

My dears,
Please forgive me for my abscence. This time I have a frighteningly good reason.

On 6 January I got a tummy ache, just *boom* there it was. I was cursed with all the attendant misery of unhappy innards. I felt so bad I asked Mum to take me to the Emergency Room.

We arrived to discover that the ER was overflowing!!! After a 20-hour wait, I was finally seen, by which point the appendicitis (which had been silent at first) had degenerated to a ruptured appendix. I was wheeled off to emergency surgery, and had my insides joggled and cleaned and snipped at the same time.

For the next five days I was in an opiate fog, there was a morphine pump in place and I was regularly being scolded for not using it enough. I clearly remember the anaesthesiologist coming to check on me and saying, "You owe Dr. Anderson a very big thank you, he saved your life in there!"

If that wasn't quite enough to bring me up short, the fact that now, 12 days later I still am inpain and struggling to get around.

Through all of this I have been pondering, and what I ended up with is a deep and abiding sense of joy in everyday and simple things.

I am alive, well, and healing slowly. As I can sit for longer periods of time I wil get back in saddle and be an active part of Soul Food again.
Love, hugs and kisses,
Gwen

3 Comments:

At 6:22 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Great to hear you are on the mend! What an experience. Happy New Year to you.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

How wonderful you're with us Gwen and I'm so glad I found you in Duwamish Bay.

Rest up and take a look around, all of us are glad to see you
Love From
Anita Marie & Company

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Dear Gwen
What an amazing thing to have had happen. So pleased you are back. Make sure to contact me to get on the lists again. Your email has been bouncing and I have been waiting to hear. Sorry I have been slow finding this message.
love Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home